September 18, 2015 || Archana Walavalkar
Although it looks and eventually is very glamorous to be a stylist, it’s also hard work. Not many aspiring stylists realise that you need to be highly resilient. No matter if you are running a fever or are hungover from your BFFs birthday, you stillhave to show up to work. You have to have super human strength and dedication. Styling is physically challenging and can be very stressful. And the only way to beat that is to have some sort of daily work-out and meditation routine. There are times when I'm shooting till 10 PM and I still come home and workout. But the upside to this hectic career path is that it's your duty to look fashionable ALL the time. It's a great feeling when you are complimented by friends, family and sometimes even the celebrity you are styling.
My personal style is sporty yet glam so my advice is to invest in statement pieces and current season separates that are stylish, versatile and most importantly, high on comfort. Here are some insider tricks to channel your inner cool girl with ease.
1. Classic stripes are hot again. Work this trend into your wardrobe with a long, loose-fitting tank top. Pair it with basic denims – totally tucked-in, half-tucked out or knotted on one end – make it appear totally different every time you wear it.
2. Inner wear as outer wear is the new fashion order. And a lace dress is the easiest way to channel this trend. Be bold and wear this separate as is. If you aren’t feeling particularly gutsy, layer with an anti-fit silk shirt.
3. ’70s-inspired flared jeans have made a major comeback. The silhouette flatters all shapes and works wonders for all body types. High heels (whichever kind you prefer) pair well with it.
4. Keep a pair of running shoes, clean socks, leggings and a basic tee handy, in your car. (Reflective trainers are in right now). After a hectic day of work, head for a run to unwind. While managing your health regime, it’s therapeutic and helps you de-clutter your thoughts.
5. An after-dark micro sling bag should top your shopping list. Pick a size that accommodates essentials like a phone, cash, cards and basic make-up, without bulging.
6. If you are planning on splurging on one thing – let it be a watch. Extra points for a high-shine metal strap or a bold-coloured dial.
7. Never underestimate the importance of having extra hair ties with you. And instead of desperately digging through your handbag, wear it on your wrist along with slim trinket-y bracelets.
8. Neat is out. Ditch the straightening iron and opt for messy waves. Tie damp hair into a top knot until you reach your destination and open it out just seconds before for beach waves and volume.
9. Keep yourself hydrated at all times. It’s clichéd but true. Invest in a cool-looking bottle, make it a part of your OOTD and carry it with you wherever you go.
10. Don’t over complicate your make-up routine. Stick to the basics – kohl and lip-and-cheek tint is sometimes all that’s needed. Kohl can also double up as an eyebrow pencil.